Team MoFo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Clockwork Orange

Go down 
+6
LunchBox
Jack
PS
SOaDaholic
pimaster
Bobbin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 4:20 pm

I watched it in it's entirety for the first time tonight (21st Nov. '08 ). I had seen the whole thing in the form of several snippets in the past and I already had a good idea of the plot, but it's all lost on you until you've seen it all in it's graphic, confronting glory. I've watched all of the Kubrick films this past week, and I've loved all of them bar Barry Lyndon, which was decent at best.

So my question to you, dearest reader, is the following:

Have you seen A Clockwork Orange? If so, did it have any profound effect on you, or even any effect at all?

Have you ever watched a confronting and mind-expanding movie in your life time at all? There are many that are considered classics and that are guaranteed to do just that; confront you. But when you actually sit down and watch the thing, you've found it to be nothing like it was so feverishly talked up to be. Please, share such an experience.

Have you watched the Kubrick films that have been shown on SBS of late? Which have you enjoyed? If not, do you intend to watch Full Metal Jacket tomorrow night in light of it being shown, and your misfortune of missing out on titillating discussion that you could be taking a part in, had you only watched the films!

Share!
Back to top Go down
pimaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
pimaster

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:47 am

I missed the start of it because I was watching Robocop at the time. I too have seen parts of it and was interested in watching the rest of the film.
But I had to miss the end.

I got to the bit where they were showing the movies to Alex and he was starting to feel sick. I can't remember if that reforms him or if he reverts back to his old ways Sad. Does the movie have an effect on me. Yes. It makes me wonder who would you consider "Sicker". The guy doing the violent acts or the Doctor forcing it down the guys throat. I think there is a point at the end where the doctor recreates a violent act on stage to show the "success" of the treatment.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Full Metal Jacket again, just cause I love the abusive nature and almost lol moments of the sergeant.

I wouldn't say these movies are mind-expanding, but they really hit home for me.
Matrix Trilogy - The concept behind choice and the various explainations of what leads to an outcome. After watching the third film, to go back over all three and pick up the subtle points just makes me wonder.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Near the end when Aragon says to the hobbits "My friends, you bow for no-one", it adds a whole lot of weight to the film. Sometimes you feel like you are not doing enough for a friend by just being there but this moment in LotR makes me feel like I've done the right thing. In reverse, when a friend is there for me, there is nothing I can say that makes them feel as important as they have made be feel: But I try my hardest.
10 Things I Hate About You - Near the end the father says to his daughter on the porch "Your sister still lets me play a little, you've had me on the bench for years. Now that you're going to <wherever>, I won't even get to watch the game". This hits my dad as well. I'm glad that I still live at home and my parents gets to see the joy of my successes. I'm glad that I get to take them 4wd'ing.

Anyway, there is my softer side? I'm looking forward to reading other posts...
Back to top Go down
http://pimaster.byteclub.net/
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 3:55 am

I didin't watch it last night but have seen all bar eyes wide shut of the Kubrick films... hated some of his earlier works though. Barry Lindon was boring, I couldn't get into it at all.. and Lolitia was kinda the same for me.

His best for me are:

Clockwork, 2001, Jacket, Dr Strangelove, Shining. (in no particular order)

***Interesting FACT Alert***

Did you know that A.I. was originally a Stanley Kubrick film, but he passed over directing to Steven Spielberg before he died?

Films that effect me:

Adaptation: Wow.. if you like mind fuck films.. this is a great one.. needs to be watched a few times to totally get it.. AMAZING Writing.

(honorable mention: Being John Malcavick)

Requiem for a Dream: An Amazingly well done film... if you get to the end of this without feeling anything you have no soul! (I was depressed for a day after watching this..)

Eternal Sunshine for the spotless mind: Fuck, I love Charlie Kaufman ... and Michel Gondry Rocks too.

That will do for now. I'm abit of a film buff so always up for talking about films!!
Back to top Go down
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 4:02 am

pimaster wrote:

I got to the bit where they were showing the movies to Alex and he was starting to feel sick. I can't remember if that reforms him or if he reverts back to his old ways Sad. Does the movie have an effect on me. Yes. It makes me wonder who would you consider "Sicker". The guy doing the violent acts or the Doctor forcing it down the guys throat. I think there is a point at the end where the doctor recreates a violent act on stage to show the "success" of the treatment.

He ultimately returns to his old ways in the film, but in the original version of the novel it was based on, he meets one of his old gang members who has gone straight and married, and it inspires him to do the same. Kubrick (once he eventually read this version, he had only read the edited American edition until he had pretty much finished writing the screenplay), found that the happy ending was unrealistic, and pretty lame, so he had it the way he does.

pimaster wrote:

Matrix Trilogy - The concept behind choice and the various explainations of what leads to an outcome. After watching the third film, to go back over all three and pick up the subtle points just makes me wonder.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Near the end when Aragon says to the hobbits "My friends, you bow for no-one", it adds a whole lot of weight to the film. Sometimes you feel like you are not doing enough for a friend by just being there but this moment in LotR makes me feel like I've done the right thing. In reverse, when a friend is there for me, there is nothing I can say that makes them feel as important as they have made be feel: But I try my hardest.
10 Things I Hate About You - Near the end the father says to his daughter on the porch "Your sister still lets me play a little, you've had me on the bench for years. Now that you're going to <wherever>, I won't even get to watch the game". This hits my dad as well. I'm glad that I still live at home and my parents gets to see the joy of my successes. I'm glad that I get to take them 4wd'ing.

Anyway, there is my softer side? I'm looking forward to reading other posts...

I've only seen the first two Matrix films, and I've only seen about the first half of the first of the LotR movies, so I can't really say. But 10 Things I Hate About You I have seen, and I recall that scene pretty much exclusively from the whole thing.

Hopefully other people will share too! Very Happy

SOaDaholic wrote:
Barry Lindon was boring, I couldn't get into it at all.. and Lolitia was kinda the same for me.

His best for me are:

Clockwork, 2001, Jacket, Dr Strangelove, Shining. (in no particular order)

Yeah, Barry Lyndon I sat through mostly for the lovely indoor shots. I loved Lolita though. It was hilarious, it was painful, and I found it intriguing until the very last.

SOaDaholic wrote:

Adaptation: Wow.. if you like mind fuck films.. this is a great one.. needs to be watched a few times to totally get it.. AMAZING Writing.

(honorable mention: Being John Malcavick)

Requiem for a Dream: An Amazingly well done film... if you get to the end of this without feeling anything you have no soul! (I was depressed for a day after watching this..)

Eternal Sunshine for the spotless mind: Fuck, I love Charlie Kaufman ... and Michel Gondry Rocks too.

That will do for now. I'm abit of a film buff so always up for talking about films!!

I'll need to take a trip down to Video Ezy sometime this school holidays, I haven't seen any of them. No
Back to top Go down
PS
Maggot
Maggot
PS

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 8:52 am

I to have seen 'a clockwork orange' about 10 years ago, i agree it is a weird and ditubing movie.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 9:23 am

no i haven't seen it.

EDIT: Smile

Last edited by Jack on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LunchBox
GA Captain
GA Captain
LunchBox

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Were those marines ment to be that shit in that saturday (22nd) night movie?
I have seen that movie before and all that i took away from it was that marines are overated and/or they turn into poo when at war, veitnam time.
I mean like losing 3 dudes to some chick sniper?.... weak.
"nigger behind the trigger" (aka 8ball) was shit, got the platoon lost then ran into the snipers bullets then a stupid buddy of his goes in after him and gets himself taken out.....genius!
And when they actually get to the sniper, she had her back to him.
EVERYBODY knows thats the time to pull out the knife/melee and get the stealth kill!
Bunch of wingers any way......"wah wah, some one has been shot, give us a tank, wah wah" they are meant to be Marines, "Simplify" and harden the fuck up!

But i guess the movie wouldn't be so "Artsy Fartsy" and dramatic if all the soldiers were replaced by Arnie's, Rambo's, Chuck Norris's, Russell Mullens's and Jack Bauer's (OMG OMG OMG 24 starts soon, OMG). **Note hope they make a movie one day with them all, would be fucken awesome!! and trent from punchy narrating (I, LunchBox Copyright that idea so Razz)

Any way, lucky "6th day" was still going so i could watch a decent movie that made sense.

Arnie - "You should clone yourself now, while you're still alive."
Baddie - "Why, so I can share your unique perspective?"
Arnie - "No, so you can go fuck yourself."
then later the clone falls ontop of the naked original baddie and...
Arnie - "When I told you to fuck yourself, I didn't mean for you to take it literally."
HAHAHA OWNED

Arnie in 2012 thats all i got to say
Or any of those other legends named above......in 2012!

Last edited by LunchBox on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 am

I don't think you comprehend how much of a big deal having a man down is out there. Not only for morale, but it's not something you can just shrug off and keep fighting after. There's procedures etc. rabbit It was hardly 8ball's fault that he got sniped. He was cautious, and he showed conviction and strength of character by being willing to go and scout out the new path after it was him to lead them astray originally. What more could he really have done? And as for the guy following him in... Well yeah, he was a fucking moron.

And those people you listed; Rambo, Arnie, I probably missed a few but you can probably guess who by association, they're all ludicrous and unrealistic characters that I simply don't enjoy watching in films. And of course, do you really think that it would be possible to have gotten all the way up to behind that sniper silently without her noticing you coming? And then for him to have been able to stick a knife into her throat? No goddamn way. Razz
Back to top Go down
ThermalSausage
Site Admin
Site Admin
ThermalSausage

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 am

I pretty much shat bricks when he went to shoot her and his gun jammed... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.thevalvesource.hotprawnz.com
theredfox
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
theredfox

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:55 pm

i think that the shining was the best or even F.M.J.(as long as you dont count F.M.J.)
this is why www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts - am i right?
but i think Barry Lindon was a good movie to.
2001 was a overrated piece of glorified crap...
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 pm

theredfox wrote:

2001 was a overrated piece of glorified crap...

Fail.

(yes, I know one word response.. BUT I QUOTED!!! Razz)
Back to top Go down
LunchBox
GA Captain
GA Captain
LunchBox

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 4:07 pm

you are my opposite, Bobbin

8ball just ran out in the middle of the rubble not using cover or anything, then starts waving about, he deserved that harsh Butt sex with that pineapple (or watermelon, LOL at that stereotype) and no lube.

And yeh, a "man down" is important and scary, i get that, but doesn't mean waste ammo and shit and get the rest of the squad killed. Fricken marines man, MARINES, meant to be the best of the best.

Sorry Ignore all of my rant (just fineshed watching that youtube link from pi then), i have never seen the first half of that movie, and after that 10 minutes with the drill instructer i see now why they screwed up in the end, they were dumbasses and didn't learn shit from the legendary drill dude.

And
Dont bag Rambo, I want to have his babies bad (or Jack Bauers or even yours Russ, lol Pimaster)
Just stick to your books if you want to think and leave the movies for our entertainment
Thats all i got to say, topic ended for me.

And isn't "Full Metal Jacket" the name of a arcade game? LOL, i thort thats what the movie was about when i saw it in the TV guide
Back to top Go down
Light
Maggot
Maggot
Light

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 1:37 am

The Americans really aren't that good when it comes to war.
Just look what happened in Vietnam.
Actually look at every war since Iwo Jima.
Not a single victory since that final battle with the Japanese in World War Two.
Back to top Go down
Sabba
Chimp
Chimp
Sabba

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 am

Yea Clockwork Orange rocked, very well done movie.

Something that really "moved" me or made me feel like WTF MAN was American Beauty. Its one of those movies that have the "Holy shit did you just see that!?" factor.

I do not want to spoil the movie for anyone, but the way it was done. I think it draws you right into the movie and all the characters lives.

-Max Power
Back to top Go down
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 am

LunchBox wrote:
you are my opposite, Bobbin

8ball just ran out in the middle of the rubble not using cover or anything, then starts waving about, he deserved that harsh Butt sex with that pineapple (or watermelon, LOL at that stereotype) and no lube.

And yeh, a "man down" is important and scary, i get that, but doesn't mean waste ammo and shit and get the rest of the squad killed. Fricken marines man, MARINES, meant to be the best of the best.

Sorry Ignore all of my rant (just fineshed watching that youtube link from pi then), i have never seen the first half of that movie, and after that 10 minutes with the drill instructer i see now why they screwed up in the end, they were dumbasses and didn't learn shit from the legendary drill dude.

And
Dont bag Rambo, I want to have his babies bad (or Jack Bauers or even yours Russ, lol Pimaster)
Just stick to your books if you want to think and leave the movies for our entertainment
Thats all i got to say, topic ended for me.

And isn't "Full Metal Jacket" the name of a arcade game? LOL, i thort thats what the movie was about when i saw it in the TV guide

Heheh, well we're entiteld to our opinions as far as 8ball and the ensuing events goes, but as for your crack on thinking and entertainment, that's a whole different story! Wink
It's the thinking that a film provokes that I consider the entertaining aspect of it. On the other side of the coin, not all books are intellectual pieces of writing. There are cheesy action novels too. And chances are, it's those cheesy novels that your favourite cheesy action films are based off. Do some research, you might be surprised!
Back to top Go down
theredfox
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
theredfox

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:20 pm

i am sorry but you are all wrong 'undead' is the best movie ever bar none.
Back to top Go down
pimaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
pimaster

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 6:38 am

So I fiiiinnnally got around to seeing the films pointed out by Soada.

Adaptation: I think I need to see that one again. A couple of issues hit home but I think I've missed the point (almost like when the chick sees the orchid).

Requiem for a Dream: Harsh film. The effects and way it was done was awesome. Apparently I have a soul Wink. Oh and +1 for having the chick from Labyrinth. I think she also does a good job in Dark City.

Eternal Sunshine for the spotless mind: Totally awesome story line. I need to watch this one a few more times to work out what happens when. Awesome effects again.
Back to top Go down
http://pimaster.byteclub.net/

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:15 pm

I saw A Clockwork Orange a long time ago, even then it wasn't the whole film and I was likely too young to comprehend any of the meaning behind it. Although I understand that it's quite effective at whatever it was set out to do *shrugs* I guess it'd make sense to watch it then, huh. Full Metal Jacket is another which I only saw the end of, and kind of gawked in ignorance at when they were versing the sniper, I mean that was a standing ovation when the dude who stood up to get a better signal over the radio was boom headshotted. When it happened you couldn't help but act as if you just saw your favorite *Insert sport* team screw up a major throw or whatever, slump back in your chair and just go "Ah, fack,". To round it all off they sing and wear heavy cologne as they move from location to location alowing the opposing force to hear and smell them coming.

For me perhaps one of the most amazing films I've watched is "What Dreams May Come". Up until then I'd never watched a Robin Williams film which was all serious. Acting, Story, Visuals in this film has got to be the best mixture I've ever witnessed.

Among that and a bunch of others there are two anime films that I absolutely love; them being "Spirited Away" and "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time".
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 pm

pimaster wrote:
So I fiiiinnnally got around to seeing the films pointed out by Soada.

Adaptation: I think I need to see that one again. A couple of issues hit home but I think I've missed the point (almost like when the chick sees the orchid).

Requiem for a Dream: Harsh film. The effects and way it was done was awesome. Apparently I have a soul Wink. Oh and +1 for having the chick from Labyrinth. I think she also does a good job in Dark City.

Eternal Sunshine for the spotless mind: Totally awesome story line. I need to watch this one a few more times to work out what happens when. Awesome effects again.

Good stuff man, you really need to see adaptation a few more times and look into it abit. The writer of the movie is the main character in the film and his fictitious brother was nominated for an oscar for screen play!!! (blending the lines between what is real and what is fiction)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Clockwork Orange Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clockwork Orange   A Clockwork Orange Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Clockwork Orange
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team MoFo Forums :: General :: General-
Jump to: