Team MoFo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

4wd'ing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:42 am

i didn't want the other topic to have a heap of replys to it apart from people telling everyone there details so, to answer your question pimaster... yes i do go 4wd'ing when i can. we normally go up to the buckland valley, normally over the melbourne cup weekend but that hasn't happened for a while... last time i went 4wd'ing i went up the tallarook ranges because they are fairly close to where i live and it was actually a fairly challenging track that we chose...

i really hope to get some more 4wd'ing done but don't really have the time. we were think about going over the simpson desert (i think that was it) but i don't think that is happening anymore.

where do you normally go??? or where have you been???
Back to top Go down
pimaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
pimaster

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:39 am

Gembrook is tha main place of play. We have also been around Toolangi a couple of times.
My brother and I went to try to go out near Moe, but fires had shut down most of the tracks.

I've been a little off road in Tassie, but we were mostly there for the scenic drive.
I normally just go out for day trips.

What sort of 4wd do you have (in terms of capabilities)?

My first one was a turbo with 2" lift, 31" All terrain, dual batteries, winch and uhf. But that one is dead after running it into a tree.
My new one just has dual batteries. The road tyres look a little worn for offroad use. I need to see if my brothers 33" muddies fit under the body. If they do I might get some 32" all terrains or something.
Back to top Go down
http://pimaster.byteclub.net/
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 9:44 am

it is basically just stardard except for the uhf, roofrack and bullbar and the tyres are all terrain although i'm not sure what size... its also on gas and petrol which is a bonus for me because i'm a cheap bastard Smile. we actually looked into getting the dual batteries but it doesn't look like there is enough room, can you supply a picture of where your second one is located? and just a pic of the full thing would be nice Smile.

my dream 4wd would be a hilux decked out with all the gear... but cost is overwhelming unfortunately and i can't see myself owning one in the near future.

did you hit the tree while 4wd'ing or did you run off the road??? you must have hit pretty hard to kill it...

anyways...
Back to top Go down
pimaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
pimaster

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 am

Shots for the second battery
4wd'ing WhitePatrolBonet1_small
4wd'ing WhitePatrolBonet2_small
Shot of the car
4wd'ing WhitePatrol_small
Shot of the one I destroyed
4wd'ing PICT2191_small
I just finished 4wd'ing, so was back in 2wd. I was on an unmade road, but any car could get on it. I went wide around a corner because I've seen cars come up the other way pretty quick. I slowed down a fair bit but was in 4th gear, so I don't think the car was going to stay slow. I hit a soft spot at the peak of the corner and fishtailed. I corrected it ok the first time, but the second time it was just lined up to a tree.
Bent the chassis rails and the body just tore in parts because it moved that far.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 9:15 am

yeah i don't have enough room for the second battery... unless i move some stuff around but it looks like mine is a bit different. looks like a very decent 4wd.

and

OUCH... for your old one Smile
Back to top Go down
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 9:55 am

pimaster wrote:

I just finished 4wd'ing, so was back in 2wd. I was on an unmade road, but any car could get on it. I went wide around a corner because I've seen cars come up the other way pretty quick. I slowed down a fair bit but was in 4th gear, so I don't think the car was going to stay slow. I hit a soft spot at the peak of the corner and fishtailed. I corrected it ok the first time, but the second time it was just lined up to a tree.
Bent the chassis rails and the body just tore in parts because it moved that far.

What a horrific tale! This thread ought to be rated M for horror!
Back to top Go down
pimaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
pimaster

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 3:20 pm

If you think it is already rated M, I won't go into any moar detail.
It wasn't a pleasent ending to the drive. I felt more sorry for my mum who was passenger at the time.
Back to top Go down
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 6:35 am

My mind boggles at the possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 pm

pimaster... just wondering about your dual battery system. did you do it yourself? cause i'm about to try and do mine... is your patrol a petrol or deisal? and also have you heard anything about the 2nd battery you are going to put in has to be the same age as your original? so therefore would have to get 2 new batteries? i'm gonna have enough room for mine i think. i't going to be a bit further back than yours though, cause my black pipe (aka thingamagig) is a bit different and i'm not sure if i would be able to modify it. also do you have a cable running to back for a fridge/accesaries and where did you run it? and also do you have like cabinets or something like that for the back of the wagon for fridge and camping shizniz?

bring this topic back from the dead. sorry for fags that don't enjoy 4wding... Very Happy bad luck guys...
Back to top Go down
pimaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
pimaster

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 4:41 pm

No, Both of my vehicles came with dual battery.
Both were diesel, so they would look different to your petrol puppies.
I hadn't heard whether batteries need to be the same. There is often talk about using 2 different sorts of battery. High cranking amps for your main, then something that holds more amps for things like fridges on the second. I replaced a battery in the first car without replacing the 2nd and never had issues. I think you should be right.
I take it you are referring to the air intake. Should be going to the air filter Very Happy
Yes I have a wire running to the back for a fridge, but I'm not quiet sure where it runs. I think it is running under the plastic that holds the carpet down at the doors. Might have to check tomorrow.
I had draws in the back of the first one and am missing them in this one. I am thinking I will just build something simple, probably only one wide'ish draw cause 2 smaller ones sucked.
My brother went to a lot of effort to build his. He is the one that takes the fridge around. I don't expect to camp that much so don't really need a lot of thought put in.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 pm

fair enough. i've just finished running a wire from my imaginary second battery to my imaginary fridge... i ran it under the plastic which holds the carpet down... didn't take me long at all, i now have to mount the fridge socket somewhere and connect it all up. gonna move the coil and then put down the battery tray see how it all fits and then mount it all goodly and then connect it all up and hopefully it works good... lol.

definately a learning thing for me lol. i've done ok so far.

i'll post some pics when i'm done if your interested.

also we are going to build a thing for the back that holds the fridge which will slide out and also will have drawers, basically gonna be a big box. gonna carpet the outside of the box so it looks allright. then i'm gonna buy an inverter to run my laptop and then get a touch screen monitor and then mount it all somewhere and then get a gps reciever and then get some gps software that will hopefully work and then it'll be all decked out Very Happy.

also need to put side rails on it and repaint the bullbar... which may never happen.

then i can drive it to uni withour worrying about scraping the side of my car on tree branched... and i'll have cold coke in the fridge and i'll be able to light campfires and all that shizniz... thanks god Very Happy.

does your patrol have any lift?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4wd'ing Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd'ing   4wd'ing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4wd'ing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team MoFo Forums :: General :: General-
Jump to: