Team MoFo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

LOVE trailer finally released!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

LOVE trailer finally released! Empty
PostSubject: LOVE trailer finally released!   LOVE trailer finally released! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:58 am

I've been following the progress of this game for many months now, and the trailer has finally been released! Check it out here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/10/15/love-video/

For the uninitiated, LOVE is a procedurally generated MMO being developed by a single man, Eskil Steenberg. Up until now, the actual core gameplay remained a mystery, but now (I presume), the trailer will shed some light on the subject. I presume, because I'm at my Mum's and can't view the movie as I'm on dial up, and it would take several hours to stream.

Comments on how it looks? Flames for me liking more faggy bs like books? Fire away!
Back to top Go down
LunchBox
GA Captain
GA Captain
LunchBox

PostSubject: Re: LOVE trailer finally released!   LOVE trailer finally released! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am

still dont really get it

I think your meant to build your area up with buildings and then destroy/take over others on an artsy-fartsy landscape
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: LOVE trailer finally released!   LOVE trailer finally released! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 am

Bobbin wrote:
Up until now, the actual core gameplay remained a mystery

There is no way in hell I can get excited about a game without any information about what the game is about.. all that video shows is the landscape and it doesn't look that great anyways.

I'm not one of those graphics whores that only likes games for the graphics (Ghost), but comeon, releasing something like this with no information on what the game is about other than its a MMO and made by one guy? Fail.

0 excitement.
Back to top Go down
Bobbin
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Bobbin

PostSubject: Re: LOVE trailer finally released!   LOVE trailer finally released! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Ah, now, I said the core gameplay. Eskil has talked a lot in his blog about intriguing concepts for his AI, his procedural development system, and his game developing philosophies. Like, he also coded all the tools that he's using to make the game, and the way he talks about some of the shit he's working on just gets you really pumped up to try it out. He also discusses the game industry as a whole, as well as global politics and (sometimes) how video games fit into that picture.

Take for example, the following:

Everyone wants long games if you ask them, but at the same time most people appreciated that they could finish Portal in one sitting. How about making games we can plan in to our lives, rather then games we have to plan our lives around? I want my game to be like Tetris, meaning you can spend as long or as short time with it as you want. Its never done but it is more importantly never required.

Or,

Right now I'm working on things players and AI can build like doors, and elevators. They can be seen as basic gameplay elements but I would also like to see them as building blocks for story. By connecting them I want to build a "LEGO" system that is complex yet easy to understand consisting of objects that can be combined to create new gameplay. However trying to build mechanics for story creation puts some limitations on what i can do. For instance is predictability very important if you want to create stories using objects; You may need to find the droids in order to know how to destroy the death star, or that you need to fix the hyperdrive to get away from the empire. If you don't understand that you are missing the story. That is why their relationship cant be a part of the puzzle, but rather the driving force behind actions. This type of game mechanic would differ quite a bit from the normal Rock, Paper, Scissor strategy found in many games because the objective is of the game is not to always counter problems with its given antidote.

The guy's writing often betrays the fact that English is clearly a second (or even third) language, but he's bloody intelligent and knows how he wants his game to be.
There are pages of stuff he's written, and I'd be surprised if anyone will even bother to read the wall of text I've already produced here, so I'll just throw up a link and leave you guys to make up your own mind.

http://news.quelsolaar.com/#home
Back to top Go down
theredfox
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
theredfox

PostSubject: Re: LOVE trailer finally released!   LOVE trailer finally released! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:01 pm

well we will just have to wait and see what its like....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOVE trailer finally released!   LOVE trailer finally released! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LOVE trailer finally released!
Page 1 of 1