Team MoFo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Year, New Computer.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

New Year, New Computer. Empty
PostSubject: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 3:49 pm

Well, My 2007 PC wont work any more, so I think its time I got a new one.

What are you guys packing? What should I get? I'd prefer not to spend a truckload. Just looking for a CPU + MOBO + RAM combo to chuck in my new box. GFX recommendations would be cool too, would prefer to stick with nvidea.

I'm looking at the i5 750, does anyone have this CPU?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Rowdy
Chimp
Chimp
Rowdy

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Hmm i think my Graphics card is 9800GT my RAM is at 2GB not sure on the CPU but it runs TF2 fine.

All games i have it runs above recommended, not sure what you're planning on playing however. Except Sam and Max. Good choice. Razz

I'm not aware of any other important specs so i can't be much more help. If thats any help to being with. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 2:10 am

Thanks Rowdy, but I'm looking more at CPU and Mobos. I'm going to keep my 9600GT and update it abit later on.

Sam and max deal was decent, so grabbed that. I just want something that's a little bit future proof.

Is anyone running windows 7? is it a worthy buy?
Back to top Go down
GRiM
Chimp
Chimp
GRiM

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 pm

SOaDaholic wrote:
Thanks Rowdy, but I'm looking more at CPU and Mobos. I'm going to keep my 9600GT and update it abit later on.

Sam and max deal was decent, so grabbed that. I just want something that's a little bit future proof.

Is anyone running windows 7? is it a worthy buy?

Yes, i'm running Windows 7, and yes, its a damn worthy buy.

As for specs, since i'm running a measly 300W power supply i've bought the second most powerful card that doesn't require pci-e power connectors, the ATI HD4670, the most powerful being the Nvidia GT240 (keep in mind, GT240 doesn't support SLI, where-as the 4670 does). I have 4gb of DDR2 no-name branded RAM, which i'll be upgrading hopefully soon, aswell as an intel Q6600 quad, at 2.4ghz.

If you wouldn't mind telling us how much wattage or maximum output your PSU has, i could make some more accurate recommendations.

As for a new CPU, you'll have to depend on a mobo first. I suppose you would want an Intel chipset mobo, though i would recommend an AMD, the Phenom II X4 965 is a damn good processor, with insane overclock potential for only an extra 20 moogle more then the i5 750, its a quad core stock clocked @ 3.4.

As for motherboard choices, to save you some trouble I've identified that to run an i5 750, you need a P55 series mobo that supports it, they usually start at around 130 dollars. For the phenom however, you'll need a socket AM3 motherboard, which start at around 100.

So buying either the P55 + i5 750 or AM3 + Phenom 965, will cost very close to the same amount of money.

I see your choices as one of these two pairs:

- Gigabyte AM3 Socket Motherboard + Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz

- Ran into a standstill at this point of research, couldn't find an Intel P55, i5 compatible motherboard that would support a Nvidia graphics card (They all seem to just say: "Support for ATI Crossfire, which says to me that if it doesn't support SLI, it won't support a nvidia card, for whatever reason, still not sure though), which would obviously be a problem...

To finish this up, I need the information on your Power supply. I'll try and look around for that P55 with nvidia GFX support.

EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text :3
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Legend Grim.

I ended up buying an i5 750 and a P55A UD3R gigabyte mobo, oh and some DDR3 ram 1333.

Setting it up now.

I am usually a big AMD fan, but these intels seem to win overall, even though the AMDs seem better at gaming. An the Intels Overclock on air very easily (no voltage increase required). On LN I have seen it go over 5ghz !

As for not supporting SLI, I dont see as a big issue, SLI doesn't have that much benifit, its usually better to spend the money on a better card. Nvidea is supported, just not SLI. Crossfire is though I might add, but only at 4x which is lame, but as I said before, one better card is usually better. (less power etc)

God. Doing a repair install is fucking annoying. I'm going to get win7 on this thing asap. 64bit. Do you have many problems with compatibility on win7?
Back to top Go down
GRiM
Chimp
Chimp
GRiM

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:04 pm

SOaDaholic wrote:
Legend Grim.

God. Doing a repair install is fucking annoying. I'm going to get win7 on this thing asap. 64bit. Do you have many problems with compatibility on win7?

Yep, i know.

And no, no problems with compatibility so far for me, even UT99 still works perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Socky
Chimp
Chimp
Socky

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 pm

I recently got because my computer's motherboard died. A recurring theme for me.
Back to top Go down
neo
Maggot
Maggot
neo

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 am

Just moved from XP to Win 7 - no issues on games, just annoying trying to find where all the system settings are since the GUi has been dumbed down for mum and dad users...
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:44 am

neo wrote:
Just moved from XP to Win 7 - no issues on games, just annoying trying to find where all the system settings are since the GUi has been dumbed down for mum and dad users...

God mode ftw!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10423985-56.html

also, you can get themes to make it more like XP, but I actually dont mind the new layout. Loving the search bar in the start menu, I launch all apps from there, ala osx anyone?
Back to top Go down
GRiM
Chimp
Chimp
GRiM

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:30 pm

I gotta say, if i were you I would've splashed out a little more and gone with an X58 motherboard with an i7920, with some DDR3.

Would've lasted much longer, tech wise.
Back to top Go down
neo
Maggot
Maggot
neo

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 am

Not a huge performance difference really.

i5 750 vs i7 920

Better for multi-threaded apps, not such a big bump for games.

MSY: i5 920 $229, i7 920 $350.

%50 percent price bump, just on CPU alone. True it will stay more current longer.
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:47 am

neo wrote:
Not a huge performance difference really.

i5 750 vs i7 920

Better for multi-threaded apps, not such a big bump for games.

MSY: i5 920 $229, i7 920 $350.

%50 percent price bump, just on CPU alone. True it will stay more current longer.

Exactly right. Thats why I didn't bother.

Generally with PCs you are much better to aim for the mid range and upgrade again in 2 years then spending twice as much now. I just wanted a quick fix.

i7 would have meant I would have needed extra ram as well as its triple channel.

All in all my upgrade cost me 520 bucks. So I'm very happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Computer.   New Year, New Computer. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Year, New Computer.
Page 1 of 1