Team MoFo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Penumbra pack on Steam for $5

Go down 
+3
SOaDaholic
theredfox
Hubnester
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Empty
PostSubject: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 9:10 am

Fucking do it

I saw the ad for the weekend sale and thought, What the hell, I'd give it a try.

Fucking hell
I've only played the first episode for just an hour (After downloading it in less than 20 minutes at a lovely 1.2mb/s) and already it feels worth it.

Do you like SCARY GAMES that are actually SCARY instead of just interactive screamers (I'm looking at you, Doom 3 and FEAR Sleep)?

It's got puzzles, great interaction with the world once you get used to it, decent dynamic lighting and graphical effects (though nothing special by current standards), and a brilliant atmosphere. And, I've already been mauled by a dog! The best thing is, that the game DOESN'T hold your hand through every fucking step you take. A lot of games these days lose half their challenge and appeal because they tell you exactly what you have to do. Penumbra, at least the first episode, doesn't so much. You have to piece together information from your basic objectives, and details such as notes and signs in the world that you come across.

For five bucks I'd say get it. Does anyone else have it?
Back to top Go down
theredfox
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
theredfox

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:31 am

correct me if i am wrong, but a game like that would have very little replay value. not that it realy matters when its 5 bucks, but its the only downside i could think of it.
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am

Probably true. But can't see it having any less value than any other standard singleplayer game.

Not to mention you're getting 3 games, which so far prove difficult and exciting, and require some thought...
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:52 am

I watched some gameplay videos trying to work out if I'd like it.. and ended up still undecided..

Which one did you play first? Overture I assume?

I thought it was only 2 games?
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 11:08 am

Yeah, Overture is first.

You get Overture, Black Plague, and Requiem. I'm playing them in order so I've only played Overture as of yet.
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 11:29 am

Hubnester wrote:
Yeah, Overture is first.

You get Overture, Black Plague, and Requiem. I'm playing them in order so I've only played Overture as of yet.

Odd steam only mentions the first 2.. not the last one..

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1451/

Edit: oh I see, Requiem is the add on for Plague and is in the gold edition..
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 1:34 pm

how big is the game??? to download i mean... around abouts.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 1:48 pm

looks a lot like myst... and that puts me off... it also looks a bit like oblivion, which also puts me off... i'd buy it though.

edit: i'm not going to buy it... i'm gonna be cheap as shit and just torrent it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SOaDaholic
Site Admin
Site Admin
SOaDaholic

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Jack wrote:

edit: i'm not going to buy it... i'm gonna be cheap as shit and just torrent it Very Happy

wow. just wow.
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:13 pm

It's nothing like Myst or Oblivion. It's in first person, it has some 'puzzles', and it involves things killing you. The similarities end there.

Buy it you cheap fucker. Five dollars.

And yeah one of them is an expansion, probably why Steam doesn't mention it... You'd think they would, but anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Hubnester wrote:
It's nothing like Myst or Oblivion. It's in first person, it has some 'puzzles', and it involves things killing you. The similarities end there.

Buy it you cheap fucker. Five dollars.

And yeah one of them is an expansion, probably why Steam doesn't mention it... You'd think they would, but anyway.

just finished playing it and it IS a lot like myst and as far as oblivion goes i played the first 5 mins of it and hated oblivion so i can't really compare. and i can't buy it... i have no means of buying it... and i've already downloaded it. if i was going to buy it i need a credit card which i don't have or paypal which i have but it has $4.40 in it... to put money back into it you have to wait 3-5 days which means that i would have to pay the 19.99 and i'm not wasting 20 bucks on this game, even if you get the other 2.

the game is scary, gameplay is pretty gay though, graphics surprised me a bit they are very good, and the "world play" is good as well... you can play with pretty much anything which makes it fun. um... from what i've played which isn't that much, i'm finding it getting increasingly boring.

but anyway for $5 you can't really go wrong and you are getting the 3 games but i wouldn't pay the 20 dollars for it. or you could just torrent them. nothing wrong with that Razz

so anyway...

you didn't buy Plants vs Zombies so you can't yell at me for torrenting this game Shocked
Back to top Go down
ThermalSausage
Site Admin
Site Admin
ThermalSausage

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Jack wrote:
... paypal which i have but it has $4.40 in it... to put money back into it you have to wait 3-5 days which means that i would have to pay the 19.99 and i'm not wasting 20 bucks on this game, even if you get the other 2.
Link your bank account to your paypal account and it will automatically pull funds from that if you don't have enough in your paypal account.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thevalvesource.hotprawnz.com
LunchBox
GA Captain
GA Captain
LunchBox

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 pm

Isn't it $6.30 AUD
Back to top Go down
theredfox
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
theredfox

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 7:50 pm

ThermalSausage wrote:
Jack wrote:
... paypal which i have but it has $4.40 in it... to put money back into it you have to wait 3-5 days which means that i would have to pay the 19.99 and i'm not wasting 20 bucks on this game, even if you get the other 2.
Link your bank account to your paypal account and it will automatically pull funds from that if you don't have enough in your paypal account.
how would that help him now?
btw gameplay cant be "gay" homophobe
you fucking fag
Back to top Go down
ThermalSausage
Site Admin
Site Admin
ThermalSausage

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 pm

theredfox wrote:
ThermalSausage wrote:
Jack wrote:
how would that help him now?
btw gameplay cant be "gay" homophobe
you fucking fag
Sorry I mean it will pull funds out of your bank account straight away, avoiding the 3-5 day waiting period. So no excuse for being a cheapass Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.thevalvesource.hotprawnz.com
Socky
Chimp
Chimp
Socky

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 8:35 pm

I bought it, pretty neat. I finally got the upper hand on that first mutant dog, by clubbing it to death with an ice pick. It has a nice atmosphere, my only gripe is the mouse sensitivity adjustment doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 4:43 am

Hahaha, I got him in the second section of that area behind the locked door, by clubbing him with rocks and a toolbox. Showed him.

But then I realoaded and the next time I just went all stealthy on his ass
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 5:35 pm

its too hard to be stealthy... i just crouch and let it run at me and time the swing so i own it... then move up close and hit it when it gets up.
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 6:01 pm

I only resort to killing the bastards if my stealthy attempts fail

It's exciting

OOOH shit

Ahahah this game is making me so paranoid, I won't spoil what happened, but something BIG happeend and I think that's enough Prenumbra for me tonight

I have to walk through my yard to get to my house to pee
and my yard is dark and i was looking for 2 glowing yellow eyes
fffffff

bounce
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Well, just finished episode 1. What a fucking ending!!

Several things tell me that this game is fucking good:

1. I never got bored
2. It actually makes me feel emotions both for the events of the characters and of my own personal state (ie; FUCKING scared)
3. It engages me so that I continue playing, despite the fact that it's 4:00AM
4. It keeps me engaged right until the end
5. It leaves me with the urge to play the continuations

Wow, brilliant.

Can't wait to start Black Plague.
Back to top Go down
LunchBox
GA Captain
GA Captain
LunchBox

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:23 am

Nice, 4AM

Plus yard is pee-area anyway
Back to top Go down
Hubnester
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Hubnester

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:49 am

Well I used to but then they dug up all the trees and started all this yardwork so unless I want to go on the new pavers or fall into a ditch I'll just go inside...
Plus I don't want no zombie dog killing me while I pee in the dark

Hmm it just reminded me of when I got drunk and pissed in a cemetary on my way home from the pub.
That makes 2x churches and 1x cemetary defiled, beat that.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:25 am

yeah i must agree the game was good... and it was scary, you really don't know whats going to happen next...

i think hubby can agree by my wimpering as i'm holding down shift to sprint which is also my vent key Very Happy

i'll certainly play the next one, but like i think foxy said, the replayability isn't there at all. once you know all the puzzels its just stupid to play it again... unless the game differs when you put it on hard.

couple of thinks bugged me in this game
1. you had to use a screwdriver for something that a screwdriver isn't used for Sad
2. there was something else i forgot
3. and finally i can't remember this one either....

all in all it was a good game
Back to top Go down
Socky
Chimp
Chimp
Socky

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 am

I finished overture last night. Black plauge is a lot more fun, as it actually starts to touch on what is happening.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Forum Freak
Forum Freak
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 am

yeah i just finished black plague... i liked it a little better because you don't get a weapon... the puzzels are a lot harder which is good in some ways... i had a bit of a crashing problem at one part but i download a fix and then it worked. the ending is a bit strange...

i've just got to do the last one now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penumbra pack on Steam for $5   Penumbra pack on Steam for $5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penumbra pack on Steam for $5
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next